Hand sanitizers are of prime importance today to ensure protection from the deadly Coronavirus along with other disease-causing microorganisms. They contain antiseptic alcohol and hence it efficiently kills the virus present on any surface. Since it is safe to use on hands, doctors recommend it to be carried everywhere and used after touching any external surface, to reduce chances of being infected. Since different brands are coming up with sanitizers, let us see some of the best ones that you can rely on in these crucial times.
Table of Contents
Things to Check While Buying a Hand Sanitizer:
Here are some points to check while getting a hand sanitizer:
- It should have at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol to be effective against disease-causing germs.
- Always get alcohol-based sanitizers as they deactivate the outer shell of coronavirus.
- Make sure that the concentration of alcohol is not less and it is not contaminated from other types of alcohol as this leads to ineffectiveness and toxicity.
- It is safe to get sanitizers from reputed brands as they adhere to all the above norms and ensure complete safety.
Is It Better to Sanitize Hands Than Washing Them?
Hand sanitizing is a quick way of getting rid of germs when you do not have water and soap to wash your hands. For example when you are shopping for veggies or groceries or traveling on public transport. But you must always wash your hands instead of simply sanitizing them when you return home from outside. This is important because washing hands kills all pathogens and keeps you safe from diseases. It also removes the visible dirt on your hands. Make it a habit to wash the hands for 20 seconds once you have access to water.
Best Hand Sanitizers In India:
Dabur Hand Sanitizer is an ayurvedic formulation that kills germs without the need for any water or soap. Using it ensures protection from germs that might have been transferred on accidental contact with an infected person or any other surface.
- Brand: Dabur Ayurvedic brand
- Rinse free & Non Sticky
- Kills 99.9% of germs without soap or water
- Fragrance: Regular, Lemon & Strawberry
- Item Weight: 460 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 7.3 x 6.1 x 19 Centimetres
2. Himalaya Pure Hands Hand Sanitizer
Himalaya Pure Hands Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs without using soap and water. It has a cooling effect and doesn’t cause itching but protects you from harmful germs.
- Brand: Himalaya
- Kills 99.9% of germs without soap or water
- It protects the skin from oxidative damage and helps prevent itching
- It removes excess heat from the body and provides a cooling effect
- Item Weight: 833 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 6.7 x 6.7 x 19.5 Centimetres
3. Amazon Brand – Solimo Hand Sanitizer Gel
Amazon Brand – Solimo Hand Sanitizer Gel is perfect for daily use in-home or office and removes 99.9 % germs, keeping you safe. The natural ingredients protect your skin.
- Brand: Amazon Brand
- Item Contains: Aloe Vera, Tea Tree and Vitamin E extracts to protect your skin
- Non-stick formula ensures easy application
- Item Weight: 500 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 6 x 6 x 18 Centimetres
4. Lifebuoy Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
Lifebuoy Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer provides instant germ protection by killing 99.9% of viruses and bacteria without the need for water. It doesn’t dry up your hands. Take a small amount of it and thoroughly rub it on your palm and or corners till it dries up, between fingers to stay safe.
- Brand: Lifebuoy
- Kills 99.9% of germs without water
- Packaging may vary in the form of cap, pump, nozzle etc
- It has Glycerine, it leaves your skin feeling moisturised
- Item Weight: 500 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 7 x 21 x 7 Centimetres
5. Dettol Original Germ Protection Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer
Dettol Original hand sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs without using water, thus protecting you from 100 illnesses causing germs. Just take a small amount of it in your palm and rub it in all corners, till it dries up. It is recommended by Indian Medical Association.
- Brand: Dettol
- Item Form: Liquid
- Item Weight: 0.18 Pounds
- Kills 99.9% of germs without water
- Fragrance: Non-irritating classic DETTOL fragrance
- Non sticky gel-based formula: Effective & safe sanitizer for kids and adults
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 26 x 46 x 102 Millimetres
- Material Type: Free
6. Asian Paints Viroprotek Advanced Liquid Hand Sanitizer
Asian Paints Viroprotek Advanced Liquid Hand Sanitizer contains 75% alcohol and is efficient in killing 99.9% of germs.
- Brand: Asian Paints
- 75% Alcohol Content
- 99.9% Germ Kill
- Safe on skin
- Item Weight: 490 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 6.5 x 1.7 x 20 Centimetres
7. Mediker Hand Sanitizer
Mediker Hand Sanitizer contains 70% alcohol and efficiently protects against germs. You can carry it anywhere and stay protected.
- Brand: Mediker
- Contains 70% Alcohol for effective germ protection
- Provides on the go germ-free protection, Use Anytime, Anywhere
- Rinse-free and Non-sticky formula
- Tough on germs, Gentle on Hands
- Item Weight: 510 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 8.3 x 5.3 x 22.3 Centimetres
8. ORILEY Instant Hand Sanitizer
ORILEY Instant Hand Sanitizer has 70% alcohol and can easily kill the harmful germs and bacteria from the hands without harming the skin. You can use it indoors or outdoors to stay safe from infection.
- Brand: ORILEY
- Hand Sanitizer: ORILEY Instant Hand Sanitizer is a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol based palm cleanser that kills germs & bacteria.
- It contains Non-sticky and Non-Irritating
- Protection: Long Lasting Protection
- Item Weight: 970 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 25 x 15 x 7 Centimeters
9. Palmolive Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer
Palmolive Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs without the use of soap and water. It has 72% alcohol and prevents chances of infection.
- Brand: Palmolive
- Contains non-sticky, gel based formula is safe for your hands
- Its 72% alcohol based formula helps protect
- Kills Germs Instantly: Palmolive Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% of disease-causing germs
- Item Weight: 470 g
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 6.8 x 6.8 x 18.5 Centimetres
10. SterloMax 80% Ethanol-based Hand Rub Sanitizer
SterloMax hand sanitizer is a WHO-recommended formula that has 80% alcohol and kills 99.9% germs. You don’t need to use water for disinfecting your hands.
- Brand: SterloMax
- SterloMax E80: 80% Ethanol based
- It protects Effective against 99.9% Germs, Viruses and Bacteria
- Item Weight: 1 kg 30 g
- Package Dimensions: 17 x 13.6 x 6.7 cm; 1.03 Kilograms
Types of Hand Sanitizers:
Here are the types of hand sanitizers available in the market:
They are made using alcohol, polyacrylic acid which acts as a gelling agent, and plant-based oils. After disinfecting a surface, they quickly evaporate. A small amount of the gel is enough to disinfect your hands easily.
They have similar actions like that of the sanitizers. You need to rub it on your hands till your hands are dry. These are available in small packs that fit into the pocket easily for carrying them anywhere.
Best Hand Sanitizers Buying Guide & Tips:
Some tips to follow while buying a hand sanitizer:
1. Check the Ingredients:
This is important as some ingredients might cause irritation on the skin, especially for those having sensitive skin. Make sure that it is mild enough not to cause any inflammation or irritation after use.
Besides this, ingredients like Aloe vera are better as it prevents dryness.
Sanitizers have alcohol and it is inflammable, you should store it safely away from any flammable substance.
3. Do not Store for Longer in a Car or Hot Environments:
Storing it in a hot environment will result in vaporization of the alcohol, rendering it ineffective.
4. Type of Alcohol:
Ethanol is more efficient in killing the virus compared to isopropyl alcohol, so better to get the product having Ethanol.
We have covered all aspects of sanitizers in this article. So you can refer to the buying guide to get the best hand sanitizer and protect yourself against any harmful microorganisms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Q. Is Washing hands better or sanitizing them?
Ans: Washing hands is better whenever you have access to a good soap and water otherwise you can just sanitize your hands and wash them as soon as you find water and soap.
Q. Is it harmful to use sanitizer frequently?
Ans: Yes because this creates a film on the hands after several uses which gets thicker to trap germs instead of killing them. So, in case your hands feel like something is coated on them, wash them with soap and water to avoid any risk.
Q. Why did the FDA recall certain sanitizers?
Ans: FDA recalled certain sanitizers as they were found to be contaminated with methanol and 1-propanol, making them toxic. Lack of the right concentration of alcohol was another reason as this made them inefficient to kill germs. They were found to have false and misleading claims with unproven effectiveness.
Q. Why are sanitizers not packaged to look attractive?
Ans: This is because FDA has warned firms that an attractive appearance might compel kids to consume it which can prove to be fatal. It must also not have food like scents for the same reason.
Q. Can coronavirus be killed with hand sanitizers?
Ans: Ethyl alcohol or isopropyl forms the active ingredient of hand sanitizers which can kill the bacteria and viruses by the dissolution of their outer layer. Besides the ingredient, the strength of alcohol must also be enough for effectiveness.
Q. Do hand sanitizers kill all germs?
Ans: No, and this is evident from the fact that all packages mentions “kills 99.9% germs as certain germs like Clostridioides difficile and norovirus can’t be killed. So make sure to wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water to remove all germs completely.
Q. Is it recommended to use homemade hand sanitizer?
Ans: No, because they may not have a minimum strength of alcohol which makes it inefficient to deactivate the coronavirus.
Q. What is the right amount of sanitizer that should be used?
Ans: You can use a pea-sized amount, a single squeeze, or a single pump to sanitize your hands. Avoid using too much such that it starts dripping. Rub it till it dries fully.
Q. Do hand sanitizers expire?
Ans: Yes they generally expire in 3 years from the date of manufacture or
once the alcohol concentration falls below 60%.